Friday, January 7, 2011

I want to persecute

Yes, I know…what’s the point of having a blog if I never update it? Sorry…I will try to improve my diligence. But, I noticed something in my devotions this morning I thought challenging.

I’ve been on a tweezering through Philippians. In chapter three, Paul writes, “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (3:14). He uses the same word for press on twice earlier in the chapter, but it is translated differently in one instance. He says in verse 12 that he presses on to take hold of what Jesus took hold of him. Ok, that fits. But the other time is in verse six: “…as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.”

What? Don’t see the expression press on in verse six? Paul is explaining his previous life before Jesus. He has quite a pedigree including persecuting the church. Wait, there it is: persecuting. In all three verses, Paul uses the same Greek word, dioko (dee-o-ko). It’s a very strong word. One does not persecute something half-heartedly. You go for it. You chase it down. You become obsessed.

Now, think of the two latter verses. “I persecute toward the goal…” and “I persecute to take hold…” Yes, it can be press on, but is Paul saying, “I now use all my energies to pursue after this prize with the same vigor I used to persecute the church”? Maybe.

I want that heart in my own life. I want to vigorously pursue the goal and prize that God has laid up for me. May it consume us with persecution vigor!

Pastor Joe
Zion of Petroleum Valley

PS Don't forget: The Generosity series starts this Sunday! We can see how to "perscute" after a generous heart!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Love and hate it. Sometimes I think I am doing really well; giving and serving and helping. Then, I look at St. Paul's life and am shaken to the core. So much ground to cover. Just need to persecute it one step at a time. keep it up Joe. Love your thoughts!